Donate to help this blog continue

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

I JUST CAN'T DO IT...

(c) 2016 - Kimberly's Insanity
(I took this picture of the bridge in Bridge, Oregon, on our way back from the retreat this past weekend. Isn't it beautiful...)

Whenever my grandma asked me to do something and my response was,  "I can't, " she would always come back with, "Can't never could. ..but do it anyway. "  I loved my grandma. ..she was such a force to be reckoned with.

There are so many ways to use the word "can't," most of them negative. I say most of them because there are times it actually applies to a situation. I have brought two of the ways up for discussion in the following paragraphs, but if you think of more that would apply, please leave them in the comments section as I would love to compile a list of them.

I find it interesting that more often than not, when we don't want to do something as per someone else's request or suggestion,  our response is usually, "I can't," instead of honestly responding with, "I don't want to." There are times when we have a prior commitment and honestly can't do something in the particular time slot in question and sure, sometimes, in order to spare someone's feelings, we find it necessary to bend the truth, but when we do this we are not only being disingenuous to others, but to ourselves as well. ..that's not good. When you develop full and total integrity in your life,  you make a promise to be honest with yourself and with those people in your life who matter.  For example, if someone asked me to go and do something after work and I didn't really want to for whatever reason, I would thank them for the offer of inclusion but would gracefully decline on the basis that it wasn't something I wanted to do. Believe me. ..your real friends will always understand.

Whenever you use negative phrases, you bring negative results into your life and this particular phrase limits you from believing in yourself. Every time you say you can't do something you put it out into the universe that you can't and then guess what happens. ..you can't. ..  The really sad part here is that you do have it in you to do the thing you said you couldn't do, but now you have convinced yourself that you can't and it stops you in your tracks...every. ..single. ..time. This brings to mind a situation in which I hear this all the time. I work in a craft store on the weekends and I always hear these talented women say, "I can't do that, I'm not good at that," or "I can't, I don't know how to do that," or "I can't learn that," (which is the worst one of all because you literally CAN learn anything you want to learn and DO anything you want to do and achieve everything you set your mind to). This is where being honest with yourself will bring about positive changes. 

The best thing you can do for yourself is to eliminate the automatic "can't" from your vocabulary and really think about how you answer yourself and others. If you don't want to do something, say you don't want to do it and don't use the word "can't" as an excuse. It isn't a crutch, but most people use it that way. Always answer yourself with total honesty and eliminate the fear of coming to terms with who you really and truly are, inside and out. 

Positive self-talk will have you doing things you never thought possible...just remember to always say, "I can, " and you will be able to. ..every.. .single.. .time.. .in every.. .situation. 


Thank you so much for visiting my blog and please, if you like what you've read, leave a comment by clicking on the word "comments" below. If you have a blog or website of your own I would love to visit it. After your comment, make sure to post your link and I will stop by and leave a comment as well. Please respect the copyright/trademark rights of the artist's work. Copying and using any work posted here is forbidden without express permission. Happy blogging.

No comments: