Donate to help this blog continue

Sunday, April 1, 2018

IF YOU KEEP LOOKING BACK, YOU’LL SPRAIN YOUR NECK…

(Photograph (c) Kimberly D Miller 03/2018)

Does our past define us? It shouldn’t, but for many it absolutely does and that my friend, is a very unhealthy way to define a future.

We are able to remember past events, not as a way to build walls against negative results toward similar situations, but to guide us forward…to act as a contrast between positive decisions and those of a negative variety. Have you ever noticed that you just can’t remember parts of your childhood, either until someone else talks about an incident or a similar situation arises in your present to jog your memory? Some memories, mainly negative in nature, are so deeply embedded in us due to years of not dealing with them because they were suppressed at the time for our protection, that we tend to forget they are down there and then, one day, WHAM, they pop up at what feels like, the worst possible moment. Once the memory is back it reminds us that, “Oh yeah, the last time this happened it was terrible and I have to make sure I never let this happen again,” and presto, another brick is added to your heart wall (the wall we build around our heart from negative experiences to keep them protected…so we think). The higher and thicker the heart wall becomes, the more we remove ourselves from society and the longer it will take to tear down.

I am a prime example of blocking memories from the past. Having been blessed/cursed as a deep-thinker in life, I try to find the “why” of every situation and, as many of you know, this process will, more often than not, drive you mad. However, the other day I was sitting in my art room working on a project and this realization about my mother and my depression came flooding into my consciousness. I blame this on all of the meditation I have been doing lately (lol...it's a good thing). I had totally blocked and deeply buried the fact that my mother tried to take her own life when I was 13. This memory was so relevant to what I have been going through for years and yet, during a time that I was relaxed and just working on an art project, it came back. I even remembered the details and connected two different past events. My mother kept telling me after that incident that she really wasn’t trying to kill herself, but that she “forgot” she had already taken a couple of doses of Valium before she took the next (combined with all of the alcohol as well). Then I remembered that later in life, I was probably in my late 30’s, my mom revealed to me that my father had a “lover” for years who lived in another city. I finally put together that this all occurred right around the same time as all of the nighttime fighting and the sounds of glass breaking against the fireplace, and overhearing my dad yell things like, “If you try to leave me, I’ll take the kids and you’ll never see them again.” All of this began to add up for me as to why I protect my heart so much and why love has never fully been able to work for me with a partner. I let my parents’ relationship (or lack thereof) define what a relationship is. I even let it define the type of person I fell for in that I always fell for people, who I knew going in, that would never work out (with the exception of two people…B.S. and A.S.) How sad I felt for my past self (I threw a little pity party and served wine and cheese), right then and there, that I could have had healthy love this entire time had someone ever told me that relationships don’t have to be that way, not if you are with the right person. I was letting the past define my future. I now know that I have walls to tear down and have begun the process so I can live and feel my life and feel love and connection with someone and make a life of joy and partnership.

It takes a lot of work to undo what we have done to ourselves over the years, but remember this…it can be undone. You can heal and will find a way to do so if you want it badly enough. Keep your eyes and your focus on the here and the now…let life unfold as it may and stay out of the past…there is really no reason to go back there as it’s over and done and should not be able to hurt you anymore without your permission.


***A tip to tear down your heart wall is this...when you feel the time is right, go back and grab the memories that you buried during very traumatic moments in your life, try to recall them fully, and then face them head on. You will be surprised as to how quickly they leave you forever and how much more open you will feel when you gain this freedom***


Thank you so much for visiting my blog and please, if you like what you've read, leave a comment by clicking on the word "comments" below. If you have a blog or website of your own I would love to visit it. After your comment, make sure to post your link and I will stop by and leave a comment as well. Please respect the copyright/trademark rights of the artist's work. Copying and using any work posted here is forbidden without express permission. Happy blogging.

No comments: