Donate to help this blog continue

Saturday, July 2, 2016

UNPACK YOURSELF...

As I was taking one of my beloved road trips the other day, the singer on one of my playlists belts out, “I'm taking down from the shelf, all the parts of myself that are packed away,” and I thought...that's it...that's what I need to do...unpack myself!


Humans are many-faceted individuals and much of the time there are too many facets to use all at once, so we store away the ones we aren't currently using until we grow and change and are ready to unpack the ones we need. I have spent such a long time trying to find out who I am in recent months that I think I lost sight of who I want to be and that is the goal I am grabbing with both hands now, as I pull some of those facets out of storage and dust them off.


Empathy is an amazingly helpful facet. Not only can you use it to empathize with others about what they are experiencing and help them accordingly, you can also use it to help yourself and to show yourself empathy as well, which sounds like an oxymoron, but in reality is a way to turn it within.


Then there is humility...I recently discovered the adage, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, humility is thinking about yourself less.” I find that insight absolutely amazing. So many people confuse humility with a lack of self-confidence and they think that being humble means treating themselves badly and neglecting their needs but humility is really all about being confident and knowing and trusting yourself so well that you don't need to prove anything. You are secure in who you are and comfortable in your own skin.


Trust...one of the most difficult facets for some...including myself. I know all too well how difficult it is to trust people the older you get because by that time, you have been hurt over and over and tend to blame the people in the various situations and therefore have difficulty trusting those who enter your life in the present/future. This is one of the facets I want to unpack quickly and learn to use properly.


Those are just a few of the facets I am in the process of unpacking to change my life for the better. What facets will you unpack to improve you life? Remember...they are all within you to use.


P.S...I have just discovered this amazing musician who goes by FKJ...If you love smooth, contemporary jazz, you will fall head over heels in love with this artist...below is one of my favorites:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and please, if you like what you've read, leave a comment by clicking on the word "comments" below. If you have a blog or website of your own I would love to visit it. After your comment, make sure to post your link and I will stop by and leave a comment as well. Please respect the copyright/trademark rights of the artist's work. Copying and using any work posted here is forbidden without express permission. Happy blogging.

No comments: