Donate to help this blog continue

Thursday, February 18, 2016

THE LOVE OF A CHILD...

Quite recently things have happened in my life which have left me a little melancholy and deeply missing someone who is deep in my heart. Something I try to do when I am missing someone is to count the positive and beautiful blessings in my life and the greatest blessing I have ever known is my son.  This is my ode to anyone who has ever been blessed enough to have or have had the unconditional love of a child:




To love a child is a selfless act. It sparks the moment we conceive, and lasts to the very edge of the moment we transition into death. 


A word that best describes our relationship with our children? Empathy. I choose this word as it is the only one I can think of in the wide world of vocabulary that accurately depicts what I have felt since my son's inception: Empathy:


* I cried when he was born and the doctor poked and prodded him;


* I felt the pain during his first shot;


* I cried at night when neither one of us could figure out what was wrong and why we couldn't sleep;


* I rooted for him as he struggled to his knees to crawl and eventually to his feet to walk;


* I laughed hysterically the first time he discovered something funny;


* I cinched with pain from every "owie" inflicted when falling down and slamming fingers in doors;


* I sunk with depression when we had to leave each other on his first day of day care;


* I rejoiced in the beauty of his first art creation as it was the most beautiful thing we'd ever seen;


* I burst with pride when he was the first in his class to read and on a level three times his grade;


* I felt great achievement for every report card ever brought home;


* I hung on every word when someone would comment on what a wonderful person he'd become;


* I walked on cloud nine when he had his first crush;


* My heart broke the first time his was broken and we cried together;


* I felt every agonizing moment of frustration and confusion through is teenage angst;


* I cherish every moment we are fortunate enough to share;

To those of you who have been fortunate to raise children, know that you are blessed to your very core. To those of you who have lost children, my heart aches for you from the depths of my soul as I could not imagine a greater loss in life. To those of you who have yet to have children, you are in for the greatest gift you will ever know...treat it with gratitude and savor every single second you are privileged to know and nurture them.


Thank you God, as I have known no greater gift than my son and the wonderful opportunity to love a child.




Thank you so much for visiting my blog and please, if you like what you've read, leave a comment. If you have a blog or website of your own I would love to visit it. After your comment, make sure to post your link and I will stop by and leave a comment as well. Please respect the copyright/trademark rights of the artist's work. Copying and using any work posted here is forbidden without express permission. Happy blogging.

No comments: