Donate to help this blog continue

Friday, July 23, 2010

A Nostalgic Journey

A trip that began with such ambivalence turned out to be  filled with wonderful memories and a reconnection with close friends.

My son and I, along with my brother Scott and his family and my brother Bob and his wife, traveled back to our family home last month to spread our mother’s ashes.  Although there was much sadness in the reason we were there, there was also such joy and empowerment in being able to finally give my mother her wish of getting to be back at her home again.  I know in my heart it made her ecstatically happy and fulfilled.  DSC08254 Thanks to the wonderful heart of the homeowner, we were able to spend the night in the home we grew up in and spread our mother in the back yard next to the beautiful flowers overlooking the ocean. 

DSC08273This was the first time my son got to see the ocean and it was so awesome to watch him gaze in amazement at its vastness and beauty.  He kept saying, “I can’t get over how there is all this water and then absolutely nothing beyond it, not any kind of land or anything.  In the desert there is nothing but land.” 

DSC08140

DSC08209

It was a time of sadness, a time of joy, a time of family and closeness and a time of excitement and nostalgia.  God how I missed that clean sea air.

DSC08257

 

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I am so glad you were able to do this...what an amazing gift--the owner letting you stay for the night! And what a GORGEOUS family picture. Use that to meditate on for the post most recently made about your depression. Add it to your mirror with all those lovely affirmations.