Donate to help this blog continue

Saturday, June 23, 2012

WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN

Ever notice how we, as human beings, tend to worry about things we have no control over.  In fact worry, by its very definition, means to fret about things that haven’t happened yet, which of course 99.9 percent of the time are things we have no control over.  Me?  Worry?  Guilty on all counts.  I don’t think everyone does it as often or as much as I seem to, and yet others surpass my worrying skills with leaps and bounds.  

The other day I caught myself worrying about some silly thing (usually money, or lack thereof) and boom, it hit me.  I realized that each day we are given this wonderful gift, the gift of a new day, right when we wake up, and if we choose to do so, we start it with a clean slate.  We don’t have to carry anything over from the previous day if we make that conscious decision.  So, with this in mind, I woke up the next morning (thank you, God,) and I made that conscious decision to carry nothing over from the day before and see how this would work for me.  

It was great!  I saw everything I had to deal with as a task to meet head on.  As I met each task and made the appropriate decision for that task, I told myself, “yes, another successful task under my belt and ready for the next one.”  At the end of the day there I was, someone who had met each task head on, put them under her belt, went home, went to sleep, and wiped the slate clean for the next day.  As I continued this pattern daily it became easier and easier to think of situations, not as problems, but as tasks to conquer and put behind me as I conquered them.

The result?  I am so much more positive these days (which for me is huge) and I find I have more faith readily available than I used to.  As these positive results continue to grow, my overall mental (and thereby physical) health has seen improvement.  Worrying is so bad for our health and is a huge part of what we term these days as “stress.”  Take the worry out of the situation and you take most, if not all, of the stress.  De-stress people.  Wipe the slate clean.  You will feel much better, I guarantee it!

No comments: