Donate to help this blog continue

Sunday, August 17, 2008

TIME

One of the blogs that I really enjoy reading on a regular basis is One Man's Travels by Graham Ettridge. He has the most fabulous insights and eye for photographs. Anyway, I loved his idea for a monthly challenge and I decided to give it a go this time. The theme is TIME and the guidelines are as follows:

1) Take a photograph that in some way, manner or form represents the theme of "Time". You are welcome to use your artistic touch to manipulate the photograph using a photopackage such as photoshop. Be as creative as you desire!!! You are even welcome to sumbit a video clip, if that is your preferred media.

2) Include a brief explanation of how the photograph(s) relate to the theme. The photograph doesn't need to be outside, it can be of somebody or of something around the home.... it just needs to represent the theme of the month.

Since I have been struggling lately with the concept of time and how it has factored into the massive changes I have made lately, it started me thinking about things that change quickly over time, so my relevance to the theme is the change that occurs because of time.

Time is not terribly friendly to flowers
. They emerge as beautiful blossoms and morph into fragrant, eye-catching flowers (in this case roses, which I love). Within only a day or two a rose becomes saggy and wilted and by the next day, brown and shriveled. It is so sad that this beauty cannot last beyond those few days, but I think the secret to a rose or anything beautiful in nature, is to enjoy its beauty and substance while it does last.People are often not as quick to cycle through this process as flowers, but nonetheless change so greatly with time. An example of this is a sort of photo log I keep of my son each year to track how drastically his appearance changes with time. He has so quickly changed from an innocent, helpless babe, into a responsible, caring, loving young man, who I am so proud to have had on loan to raise until he comes into his own.
Time is unstoppable. It's the one constant in a world of uncertainty. You can count on it to be there day after day, methodically and dutifully carrying on until, one day, it runs out.

4 comments:

Graham Ettridge said...

Both sets of photographs are precious in their own very special way. Such amazing interpretations of the theme with wonderful results. Full of depth and emotion. Kimberly, these are truly creative and warm photographs that remind us of how very important "Today" is. Your words at the end are just perfect for the post and the theme. Truly wonderful! Thank you for joining in with the challenge :)

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I like your child's 'timeline', I just have boxes of photos of the years.....

I think you did a great job at interpreting his challenge!

Graham is one of my most favorite blog people :o)

Memories Of Mine said...

I like both your interpretations on time. It was a great topic set by Graham and also got me thinking. I especially like the time line of your son what a great way to see how he has grown and changed.

Lilliy said...

Both timelines were sweet.. loved your warm blog.