Donate to help this blog continue

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

YOU ARE WHAT YOU WEAR...


Photo (c) Kimberly D. Miller - 2017


As a Professional Organizer, an area I see a lot of in peoples’ homes is their clothes closet(s).  I came to realize that who people are matches exactly how they dress, so when I first meet someone and they don’t reveal much about themselves in the beginning, I can usually tell who they are by what they are wearing at the time. An example of this is one of my favorite clients who is a very laid-back, calm, accepting person and she wears a very bohemian style of clothing which, back in the day, used to be called “hippie” clothes (and which I love).  She later told me she was a self-proclaimed hippie and had been her whole life.  That was when I realized that there was something to how people dressed. 


After the realization, I began researching clothing styles and personality traits.  I found so many well-informed articles, but this one by Dr. Shirley on Success Images .com is particularly interesting and very well-written.  I also love that it isn’t terribly long, but it gets the point across.  It also warns against judging people by what they wear, a very important point, because so many of us are guilty of “judging a book by its cover” and then we often don’t give that person a chance.  We might see someone in dirty, torn or ragged clothing and automatically label that person as “homeless.”  We don’t stop to think that maybe that person has been digging ditches all day or working in the garden...any type of dirty work that would require old, yucky clothes.  Anyway, I think the article is well-researched and well-written so I hope you will check it out.


The moral of this story?  We choose to show the world a picture of ourselves by how we dress and how we feel about ourselves.  People can tell if we project self-confidence or not.  Use this knowledge to learn about people without judging them by what you see before you know them.  It will help you out in the long run and people may do the same with you...you know, that whole karma thing…(insert giggle here).  



Thank you so much for visiting my blog and please, if you like what you've read, leave a comment by clicking on the word "comments" below. If you have a blog or website of your own I would love to visit it. After your comment, make sure to post your link and I will stop by and leave a comment as well. Please respect the copyright/trademark rights of the artist's work. Copying and using any work posted here is forbidden without express permission. Happy blogging.

No comments: