Donate to help this blog continue

Sunday, February 7, 2021

DON'T VEER OFF THE SIDETRACK…


(Photo by Kimberly D. Miller - (c) 2013)

We all know its sinister plot...we’ve all been led down its vicious path...the dreaded sidetrack.  I am one of its prize victims.  Even sitting down just now to write this post I was sidetracked 3 times before getting to it.  I like to write while the television is on and I heard a song in the background of a t.v. show as soon as I started to write.  I knew I loved this song from days gone by but could not place the title or the artist.  I quickly grabbed my phone and tapped on the app that listens to and identifies songs and, because I didn’t get it right the first time, I had to pause and restart the t.v. show at least five times before I could get the app to identify the song.  At this point 20 minutes have gone by, but at least I have my song.  Then, I decided the cat needed to be fed...procrastination, party of one!  I sit down again in front of the computer and type a few lines and now it seems my wine glass is empty and I have to get up to get the wine bottle but, while up, realize that I hadn’t put my laundry in to wash so I had to get that started.  I then sat down again to write and this time I made it.  I go on like this all day every day and let’s face it, most of us do, thus the question - is it possible to complete a task without falling victim to the dreaded sidetrack?  Answer - absolutely! 

One of the best ways I know to stay on track is to keep a pen and paper with me while I’m working on something I absolutely want to finish and whenever a thought comes into my head that will undoubtedly sidetrack me, I write it down.  This accomplishes two things: 1) that I won’t forget what I was going to do, and 2) that I make sure to get it done, just not while I'm in the middle of something else.  If a pen and paper are not easy for you to carry around, another good method is to have your phone on you so that you can dictate into the Note app whenever you think of something that would potentially sidetrack you.  

To sum up, procrastination and sidetracking are the worst instigators of disorganization and accrued, bad habits, but there are definite strategies to stop them in their tracks.  Stay focused and keep putting  those “side” thoughts onto paper and/or your phone app and I guarantee that the task at hand WILL be completed and you will learn new, healthy habits.


Thank you so much for visiting my blog and please, if you like what you've read, leave a comment by clicking on the word "comments" below. If you have a blog or website of your own I would love to visit it. After your comment, make sure to post your link and I will stop by and leave a comment as well. Please respect the copyright/trademark rights of the artist's work. Copying and using any work posted here is forbidden without express permission. Happy blogging.

No comments: