Donate to help this blog continue

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO…

P1030705

How many times in life have you heard the phrase,   “You have to learn...,” followed by words like,        “...how to say no,” or “...that you have a choice,” or “...a trade before you can have a career.”  I could go on because this phrase can be used in so many   contexts throughout your lifetime, but you get the  picture. 

About the time in my life that I realized I had heard  this phrase for the umpteenth time, I finally realized  it was a message being sent to me over and over  again...about how to live.  I realized that even at my age, I had a lot to learn and that I needed to apply  the things I learned in the past to my present day life as well.  I am now hyper-conscious of the things that life is teaching me and  the fun part, and often the hard part, is learning how to apply these things to daily living because often there is so much to apply at once.  I then realized that if we take the things we learn each day and do our  best to learn where, when and how to apply them  quickly, they become second nature and new,  learned responses.  It is as if we are building a  coping-skills armory and adding to it daily. 

Learning about yourself, who you are, why you are  and what your special purpose is, is the ultimate goal.  Most people acquire so much baggage along the  way that they forget that that is what they must first do in order to be complete enough to be successful  on their unique path in life.

We all ask the question to others as well as ourselves, “Where do you see yourself in....years?”  While it  is good to set goals and have plans, never forget the  importance of living each day to its fullest and  staying in the moment as much as possible.  The  future will take care of itself and if you have faith,  you know that to be true.  Our job here is to learn  about ourselves, learn about the people in our lives  and even about the people who cross through our  lives for only brief moments.  They all teach us  something, good or bad, tough, easy or indifferent,  and we teach them as well. 

I find it intriguing that most of the time people aren’t even aware that lessons are present in all situations, but I think as we get older the lessons are either less subtle or we become more aware and sensitive.

I am now more grateful than ever for everything that I have, everything that I know, everything that I am and I treasure it every minute of every day, learning more and more about myself and my journey and my purpose in life and with other people.

Life is one big lesson followed by a final exam... make sure you study hard as this is one test you will want to make sure you pass.

I’m not sure if I have shared this poem before, it is  one I wrote in June of last year, but I really think it  applies here.

CHANGE

By

Kimberly D Miller

(c) 06-10-2014

Change is life, life is change;

Our situations rearrange;

First we're here, then we're there,

We must accept it everywhere;

Time and tide are constant spans;

Life just happens, don't make plans;

Control's an illusion to ease the mind;

No map to follow, will you find;

Walk the path you’re meant to tread;

Not ever a second should you dread;

We are here, no matter the test;

To pass them all by doing our best.

No comments: