Donate to help this blog continue

Sunday, October 26, 2008

WE CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN

This weekend my son and I decided to go for a casual hike, and being as out of shape as I am, I decide, why not! As it turns out, not only did we go to the most beautiful place to hike in all of Arizona, a place called Ramsey Canyon, but we just kept climbing upward until, lo and behold, we had reached the top of the mountain. That's right, all 6,200 feet of it. I knew I was having a hard time breathing, but I just thought it was due to the fact that I am so out of shape. I got the most amazing pictures, and how, you might ask, did I manage to take a picture of the two of us on the top of the mountain without a tripod? Well, as luck would have it, standing at the top of the mountain, was a man and his wife, probably in their late 60's, standing there, taking in the view. They offered to take our picture with my camera. Also, they were kind enough to share their water with us, as we had not remembered to bring ours (for only what was planned to be a very short hike and picture-taking excursion). How sweet, after traveling that far, to happen upon two very lovely and generous strangers, who turned out to be friends in nature.

When we ventured a bit more over the top of the hill, we happened upon this rather large waterfall (large for Arizona mind you).
It was such a blessing to find this frigidly cold water at the top of our trek, and rub it all over our necks and faces. It was quite a warm day. I was so glad we didn't "trip" over any rattle snakes or "bump" into any mountain lions or bears. There aren't many places to escape such potential fates up that high.

All in all, a lovely Saturday with my son, bonding and conquering a mountain. I wouldn't have spent it any other way.

1 comment:

Ynaffit said...

Awesome! Whatta trek! Whatta feat!!!