Donate to help this blog continue

Friday, July 25, 2008

ROUND ROBIN EXPRESS GROUP & GENERAL TOPICS ON MY MIND

I am having SO much fun with my Round Robin Express altered book/altered art group. This is the first group I've moderated (ever), and I have to say, I really got lucky. I have seven of the coolest lady artistes in this group and we all care about keeping it fun and making everything run like clockwork.

I've been in many, many, other altered art groups, and I have to say, I was never very excited about them for several reasons. The largest altered book group on Yahoo has something like 1,800 members. I used to belong to that group, but when I went to the messages area and looked around, I really never had much of an idea as to who was doing what and what swaps were active or who's running the swaps. It's very chaotic and very frustrating for me, because I like to be organized and orderly. It's the only way to make sure that everyone gets their altered books back to them in all of their fabulousness and that the swaps are set with guidelines so they will run smoothly and result in an awesome product in the end. There are a couple of people in the group who I can tell by their blatancy aren't very fond of me all of the time (or most of the time), but I had to realize that you can't please all of the people all of the time. I let people know exactly what is expected of them going in, and I don't understand why they would join if they are not sure they have the time or the devotion to put forth. We are a very hands on and communicative group, but it does require effort and keeping up on the discussion board.

I find it kind of funny how there are people who will join a Yahoo group or other internet group, knowing full well that they are joining an "internet" group, and then make comments like, "I don't like to get on the computer that much, so I won't be posting often." Okay, so I ask, "Why join an internet group? You will be expected to participate, and often." I like to get on the computer and now that I moderate this group I try to be on as often as possible to toss ideas around, answer any questions, make sure things are running smoothly and that everyone is creating, being fulfilled in their art, and having a fabulous time. Ugh!

We are at the halfway part of our altered book round robin. All 7 of us created books to float to each other for altering, so when we are done, these books will have literally circled around the United States. It's such an exciting endeavor when you think about it, how people around the United States are able to come together as a group, in this case a group of artistes, and communicate and create with one another. Without the internet, this would not have been possible.

I really hope our group will "live long and prosper" (yes, I borrowed that line from Spock). I have decided to keep it down in number. A small group is easier to run smoothly and keep everyone as happy as possible, which is my goal.

On another note, I am sad that a couple of my friends, one in particular, who was excited about my getting a blog initially so she could, "stop by and see what I was up to," seems to have dropped off the face of the planet. She lives in a state that starts with an O, but I won't which one - lol. She has two young children (which I know leaves you very little "you" time,) but even when she has been on the computer to update her blog, she has not read or responded to the comments I've left for her, or left any comments or stopped by my blog. As a matter of fact, the emails and phone calls have stopped also. I know you are busy girl, but we've had too many years of friendship for you to just drop the ball. If you read this, know that I miss you and that I love you. I am here to talk to-just a phone call away.

As it stands right now, my boss is officially retiring. I have to find another job in this small area, that pays what I'm making now or lose everything, within the next three months. I haven't had to look for a job in 11 years. Wow, I can't even believe I've been working here for 11 years. I've never worked anywhere for more than 4 years. I've always had a Nomad spirit and have moved every 3 to 4 years to another city or another state, but when you have a kid, I guess you want to stay put and make sure he/she has roots and a place to call home with the same friends and school. The older he gets though, the more I find that spirit calling to me. I remind myself of Juliette Binoch in Chocolat. When the wind blows, I'm ready to move somewhere new and start over. I love a clean slate and the thrill of getting to know new people. It will be exciting to see what the future holds. I hope I get a good job, too. It's very scary.

I guess I've rattled off long enough. Thank you so much for stopping by, and please leave a comment if you can. I get a little lonely around here sometimes *grin*.

No comments: