Donate to help this blog continue

Monday, August 17, 2015

REVERE THE AGED. ..

If there is one lesson that most people find difficult to learn, especially when we are young. It is to learn to revere people who are older and wiser than we are.
How many times, as you've grown older have you heard yourself say, "iIf only i had listened to. .. (insert name here)."  The older I get the more I realize that my life would have been so much easier in certain areas had i listened to my mom and dad's advice, as well as that of my grandparents and everyone else in my life who was older. ..had i listened and not thought i knew all there was to know about life at my young age. 

The flaw with that theory however is that our destiny is our destiny and we are meant to follow a certain path to get where we need to be,regardless of the advice we choose to heed, but i do believe the path will lead to the same place whether we choose to take the easy road or the hard road. ..that is where the choice lies.  In the past it seems i have frequently chosen the path with the hot coals where i take my shoes off and jump from coal to coal scarring my feet on each lump of coal as I wince with pain.

I now know that another road exists off to the side of that one where you can take your shoes off and walk in the cool, green grass while reveling in the beauty that surrounds you and often that is the path that older and wiser people have told me to take based on their experience. 

I now try to put my stubborn Taurus, Irish, German roots aside and open up enough to listen to the possibilities and advice that others have to offer based on their experience ...not all of them older, but many of them wise because of what they have been through. 

If you have older people in your life, remember to listen to their advice and take from it what will work for you ...they have been through it and come out the other side.

No comments: