Donate to help this blog continue

Monday, August 31, 2015

GRRR...

Anger is such a waste of time and yet still an issue I am resolving myself.  Today I had a great day, but then when I got back to the office after my route, the "new" old employee who I have let under my skin since he was hired back, did some more stupid things that again, I let get under my skin.  Notice the key word in the phrase, "I let get under my skin," is the word I.  I do it to myself.  

Once I got home, and the sad part for me right now is that I still haven't made the kind of friends here that I can just call at the drop of a hat and talk to when the notion strikes me...still working on that and it will happen, but I was angry at myself for letting myself get angry over this guy, who is basically an unhappy person.  He is unhappy...and I would venture to say insecure in that he has to prove to everyone he talks to (and he talks all day long) that he knows everything about everything and is right about everything.  I believe he doth protest too much, but I need to let my anger turn to human compassion for someone who doesn't have many healthy coping skills himself.


I then proceeded to pull up my barrage of new and positive coping skills and without substances (except for a glass of warm chamomile tea) I managed to talk myself out of that mood without reacting out of anger when the situation arose at work.  I am so proud of myself for this.  Tomorrow, when I see him, I will be over this silly anger and back to my new, old self and happy and positive.  I was able to have my mood, feel it and let it go.  This is how we process.  Feel the feeling, resolve to resolve it in a positive manner and then move on leaving the memory in the past where it belongs. Healthy processing.


I also found quotes about anger (I love quotes) that really helped me breathe through it as I read them and put things into perspective.  If you find yourself needing to calm down before you react to something (which I highly advise), read these quotes that I found in the Quote Garden and pull out the ones that work for you.  They are really great:


He who angers you conquers you. ~Elizabeth Kenny

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness. ~Author Unknown

Anger is one letter short of danger. ~Author Unknown

Anger ventilated often hurries toward forgiveness; and concealed often hardens into revenge. ~Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

People who fly into a rage always make a bad landing. ~Will Rogers

Get mad, then get over it. ~Colin Powell

The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough. ~Bede Jarrett

Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight. ~Phyllis Diller,
Phyllis Diller's Housekeeping Hints, 1966

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. ~
Baptist Beacon

Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. ~
Mark Twain, a Biography

Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die. ~Malachy McCourt

Take no revenge that you have not pondered beneath a starry sky, or on a canyon overlook, or to the lapping of waves and the mewing of a distant gull. ~Robert Brault,
brault.blogspot.com

If you kick a stone in anger, you'll hurt your own foot. ~Korean Proverb

Anger as soon as fed is dead—
'Tis starving makes it fat—
~Emily Dickinson, from "Cupid's Sermon," 1881



Anger dwells only in the bosom of fools. ~Albert Einstein

No man can think clearly when his fists are clenched. ~George Jean Nathan

Anger and jealousy can no more bear to lose sight of their objects than love. ~George Eliot

Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what is left. ~Author Unknown


At the core of all anger is a need that is not being fulfilled. ~Marshall B. Rosenberg
Anger and folly walk cheek by jole. ~Benjamin Franklin

Temper tantrums, however fun they may be to throw, rarely solve whatever problem is causing them. ~Lemony Snicket

If you are patient in a moment of anger, you will escape one hundred days of sorrow. ~Chinese Proverb

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. ~Buddha

If you get upset when the toast burns, what are you going to do when your house burns down? ~Author Unknown

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to. ~Author Unknown

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~Buddha

Malice drinks one-half of its own poison. ~Seneca

Can anger survive without his hypocrisy? ~Terri Guillemets

Anger is a killing thing: it kills the man who angers, for each rage leaves him less than he had been before — it takes something from him. ~Louis L'Armour

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. ~Ambrose Bierce

When angry, count four; when very angry, swear. ~Mark Twain,
Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar


Anger is a bad counselor. ~French Proverb

Resentment is an extremely bitter diet, and eventually poisonous. I have no desire to make my own toxins. ~Neil Kinnock

The worst-tempered people I've ever met were people who knew they were wrong. ~Wilson Mizner

To carry a grudge is like being stung to death by one bee. ~William H. Walton

Two things a man should never be angry at: What he can help, and what he cannot help. ~Thomas Fuller

The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

When a man sends you an impudent letter, sit right down and give it back to him with interest ten times compounded, and then throw both letters in the wastebasket. ~Elbert Hubbard

Consider how much more you often suffer from your anger and grief, than from those very things for which you are angry and grieved. ~Marcus Antonius




I love this last one...we often don't even realize how much a negative emotion can do us more harm than good.  A good lesson in learning to let things go.


Thank you for taking the time to stop and visit and please, if you like what you've read, leave a comment. If you have a blog or website of your own I would love to visit it. After your comment, make sure to post your link and I will stop by and leave a comment as well. Happy blogging.

No comments: